If you are considering breast augmentation or a breast lift with breast implants, you are most likely researching what type of breast implant is the best for you: Round Breast Implants? Anatomical implants? Teardrop implants? There are many different types of breast implants: silicone implants, saline implants, round, smooth, and textured... each implant has been designed with a purpose to satisfy different needs, so they vary in shape, surface, type of filling, and sizes.
In this blog post we will discuss breast implant shapes. Two of the main breast implant shapes are round implants and anatomical breast implants – also known as teardrop implants, - Is one better than the other? We are ready to answer this and many frequent questions below.
- Round Implants: Round Breast Implants as their name indicate are round-shaped that are completely symmetrical since they provide the same shape all over.
- One possible complication after surgery is Implant Rotation... but, with round implants, this is not such a huge issue. If it rotates, chances are the shape will remain the same because of the symmetry in the implant.
- Round implants offer fullness in the upper pole, the upper part of the breast which translates into a perkier and more curvaceous feeling since they provide a more augmented or fuller look, lift, symmetry, and cleavage.
- This breast shape is ideal for women with existing breast tissue that look for a curvier/perkier effect since they might provide better-proportioned results. Women who seek higher profiles or more cleavage can achieve higher projection with round breast implants.
- Round breast implants are considered the “classic” implant shape. Round implants are usually the top of mind for people when they think about breast implants or breast augmentation surgery.
Anatomical or Teardrop Implants: Anatomical implants, also known as teardrop implants, are shaped like a teardrop or oval-shaped that emulate the natural breast shape with a fuller bottom pole.
- Anatomical implants are recommended for women who lack breast tissue or are smaller-built and/or prefer more natural-looking breasts.
- These implants tend to look more subtle and tend to provide more natural results and projection. To avoid any movement inside the breast pocket, anatomical implants tend to be textured. Textured implants develop scar tissue to stick to the implant, making them less likely to move around and negatively affect breast contour since they have an extremely specific shape. Because of this, teardrop implants’ shape is fixed and will not change, even when you are lying down or standing up vs round implants.
In conclusion, there is no better or worse shape implant. Thanks to today’s medical and scientific innovation there are many types of safe breast implants, sizes, and shapes surfaces. Depending on the implant type, gel, and brand, both anatomical and round implants look and feel natural. What’s important is that you choose the type of breast implant, shape, and texture that will best suit your body type and aesthetic goal. In a recent study (1) they found that there were no significant differences among round and anatomical implants regarding complications, revision surgeries, and overall outcomes.
Patients showed no differences regarding satisfaction and well-being. However, there are certain medical instances where one shape is favored over the other. For example, Anatomical implants are mostly used for breast reconstruction following a partial or bilateral mastectomy, since there is no breast tissue or barely breast tissue remaining after surgery. In the end, the best implants depend on your specific needs and your board-certified expert Plastic Surgeons recommendations. Your Board-Certified surgeon will recommend which type of implant is best for you based on your medical history, body type, breast tissue, and aesthetic goal.
At GC Aesthetics® we offer the most comprehensive implant portfolio on the market! A complete range of breast implants with different shapes, surfaces, gels, volumes, and projections providing choices for every woman and every need. We have a different implant line for both anatomical and round silicone breast implants. GCA’s anatomical implant range is split into two collections: The Matrix™ and CoGel™. Both collections are designed for comfort and durability, you can expect safe, trusted results with retained shape. At GCA® Our goal is to empower women to find joy in making smart, safe beautiful choices.
For over 40 years, GC Aesthetics® has provided women around the world with reliable, safe, and effective breast implants. We, at GCA®, have a varied range of Round Implants, both smooth and textured breast implants. Our Round textured breast implants such as our iconic IMPLEO™ and our world-famous The Round Collection™ backed by evidence, proven safety, and enhanced performance. We also have a fantastic range of Round Smooth implants such as IMPLEO™ Smooth, The Round Collection™ Smooth, and PERLE™, our novel smooth opaque round implant that has all the benefits of Anatomical & Round Implants. If you are looking for a natural look, you can achieve it with anatomical or new generation round breast implants such as PERLE™.
GC Aesthetics®, A Confident Choice for Life™
- Agochukwu-Nwubah N et al. Aesthet Surg J. 2019;39(8):NP322-NP330.
- 2. Data on file, GC Aesthetics®, 2021.
- 3. Duteille F, Perrot P, Bacheley MH, Bell E, Stewart S. Ten-Year Safety Data for Eurosilicone's Round and Anatomical Silicone Gel Breast Implants. Aesthet Surg J Open Forum. 2019;1(2):ojz012. Published 2019 Apr 27. doi:10.1093/asjof/ojz012
- 4. Kooiman L, Torensma B, Stevens H, van der Lei B. Single Center and Surgeon's Long-Term (15-19 Years) Patient Satisfaction and Revision Rate of Round Textured Eurosilicone Breast Implants. Aesthet Surg J. 2022;42(5):NP282-NP292.
- 5. Duteille F, Perrot P, Bacheley MH, Stewart S. Eight-Year Safety Data for Round and Anatomical Silicone Gel Breast Implants. Aesthet Surg J. 2018;38(2):151-161. doi:10.1093/asj/sjx1175.